Thursday 25 March 2010

Add-ons - Laptop Bag

The Laptop bag is another of my previous concepts that I have decided to look into further. For this I purchased a basic Laptop carrying bag from a supermarket and decided to attach some plastic inserts into the lid of the bag. By using the properties of the bag, in this example the lid, and folding it over the chair as if you were a child at school.

I cut out to shapes of plastic that would fit in the lid and heated them using a heat gun. I created two different shapes in order to see how these shapes would feel while seated.



This prototype did work however I felt there were some drawbacks. The plastic inserts were too hard, giving no comfort for the user. As the inserts were solid, when using the bag on different types of chairs, it worked on some and not on others because if the chairs back was curved or straight the inserts did not fit in every case. However in most cases it did provide extra support to the back, one thing missing however is customisation, not everyone is the same and with a sensitive are such as the back something that the user can personalise to their own specifications would be of great value.

No comments: