Wednesday 6 January 2010

Designs - Assa Ashuach



"I believe that a designed object is created to fulfil a need. In my work, I try to reduce the design to its most essential parts. The two important elements for me are perception and use. The final form of an object can be broken down to two main disciplines: the visual and the physical structure. Take for example the 501Chair: it is a single surface with no undercuts, constructed in a single outline that modifies the surface structural strength and dictates its visual definition. It is a reduction. You can’t take from it and you can’t add to it."

" The 501 chair evolved from an early project, My Trousers. These are trousers in which you can walk and sit. One of the things I realised when working on My Trousers was that sitting with a wider angle between the back and the thighs was not only comfortable, but good for the body posture. This new way of sitting allows the user to relax their back from tension. In my opinion, the traditional chair is an evolutional mistake that started way back with the design of the first chair. One thing is sure, sitting with a 90 degree angle is a very bad solution, particularly when it is for long hours, leaning forward to type on a computer and we are stuck with tables that are 72cm high."



http://designmuseum.org/design/assa-ashuach
http://www.assaashuach.com/

No comments: