Monday 2 November 2009

Why Back Pain?

Back pain is a serious problem in western society, over our lifetime 8 out of 10 of us will suffer from it whether it be acute of chronic back pain. However experts still do not fully understand it. To start there are questions that need to be answered, and with finding out the answers it may help my understanding of back pain.

• Has western society always suffered from the problem? Is it global?
• Where is the problem?
• Who are the sufferers?
• What are the causes?
• Is there any way from preventing back pain?


Answering the above questions will hopefully give me an insight to the problem and increase my understanding.

Another reason for me to approach this problem is I suffered from back pain recently. I suffered from acute lower back pain in the lumber region of the back, which is the lover back just above the pelvis. Now hoping this problem doesn’t turn into chronic pain. My pain started a few weeks before easter break, I then went on a week’s snowboarding holiday and the pain was excruciating, every night I found myself using pain relief gels on my back. When I got back to the UK I made an appointment with a chiropractor, and after a discussion with her the reasoning behind the problem was apparent, sitting at my desk for extended periods of time and lounging about on the sofa was the reason behind the problem, this and the strains from the holiday increased the pan. Posture was also an issue of mine that had a great effect on my problem. So to put it basically, for me paying some attention to my posture and sitting upright on the sofa and at my desk was the solution to the problem.

For some people it is not that easy, and most people don’t understand the reasoning behind the problems. So increasing people’s awareness and knowledge and understanding of the problem and changing their perception will hopefully help in the prevention and aid of back pain.

No comments: